S.P.G. Mission House at Mandalay, built by the King for the Revd. J.E. Marks
Photographer: Jackson, J.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken by J. Jackson in 1868, part of an album of 43 views of Burma (Myanmar) from the Sladen Collection. General view of the mission house in Mandalay built for the Reverend James Ebenezer Marks, missionary for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. Previously the headmaster of St. John’s College, Rangoon, Reverend Marks was invited to Mandalay by King Mindon Min (ruled 1853-78) in 1869; the mission house dates from this period. It is a wood, bamboo and thatch bungalow raised above the ground on posts using the pile construction technique of Burmese vernacular architecture. Its royal patronage is indicated by the three-tiered roof. The king also built a school for the Society, which was supervised by the Rev. Marks and attended by several of the royal princes.