Photograph of a street scene in the new city of Lashkar in Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890s, from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895'. Lashkar is situated about two miles from Gwalior and was founded in 1810 by Daulat Rao Sindhia who set up his lashkar (camp) there, thus giving the town its name. The Imperial Gazetteer of India states, 'The city is picturesquely situated in a horseshoe-shaped valley opening eastwards. Just below the fort are the palaces, standing in a walled enclosure, known as the Phul Bagh, or flower garden. The modern residence of the chief, the Jai Bilas palace, and the older Moti Mahal, now used for departmental offices, a museum and other buildings, are all situated within this enclosure...The city proper lies beyond the palaces. It is bisected by the main road, leading from the Gwalior railway station, and is divided into numerous quarters.'