View of Sunder Ghat showing palaces on the hillside beyond the tank at Bundi, Rajasthan taken by Gunpatrao Abajee Kale, c.1900. The photograph is from an album of views of Bundi formerly in the collection of Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome, (1850-1916), who was Commander in Chief of India between 1902 and 1909. Bundi was the historical capital of the former princely state of the same name in Rajputana, India. The ruling family of Bundi, the Hara Chauhan clan of Rajputs built a series of impressive palaces, gardens and tanks here which appear to have been carved out of the hillside in several tiers. Sunder Ghat, on the embankment of Nawal Sagar Lake, was built by Sunder Shobhaji, a concubine of Maharao Raja Vishnu Singh.