Simla from the crags.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph with a view of Simla (Shimla), the capital of Himachal Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views. Simla in the Himalayan foothills was originally a small village named after the goddess Shamla Devi, an incarnation of Kali. When the British discovered it in 1819 after the Gurkha Wars, they developed it as a summer refuge from the hot plains of India, and a place of recuperation for battle-weary soldiers. The largest of Indian hill-stations, Simla became the summer capital of the British administration in India. It is built across a range of hills and connecting ridges. The area has spectacular views, with rows of snow capped peaks disappearing in the distance.