Small Sar Bahau Temple, [Gwalior]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the small Sasbahu Temple at Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh in central India, taken by an unknown photographer around 1882, part of the Gladstone Collection. This temple is one of a pair of Vaishnava temples built in the period (10th-11th centuries) of the Kacchapaghata kings of Gwalior. The other temple nearby is larger. A long inscription in the porch of the larger temple indicates that they were begun by King Padmapala (1085–93) and completed in 1093 by his son Mahipala (1093–1105). They are situated on a fortified outcrop overlooking Gwalior, in the impressive fortress that rises more than 100 metres (350 ft) above the town. The smaller one, seen in this view, consists of an open mandapa or hall, with balcony seating, covered by a pyramidal roof. 'Sas' meaning mother-in-law and 'bahu' meaning daughter-in-law, were the popular epithets for the temples because one was large (the mother-in-law) and the other was small (the daughter-in-law).