Simla Church, 1885
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Christ Church, Simla, from the 'Crofton Collection: Topographical and architectural views mostly in India', taken by an unknown photographer c. 1885. Simla, a hill-station with a pleasant temperate climate, came to British notice after the Nepal War (1814-16) and later became the summer capital of the British when the Governor-General began to take his council with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta, over 1000 miles away. Christ Church was designed by Colonel J.T. Boileau and took 13 years to built (1844-1857). John Lockwood Kipling designed the fresco surrounding the chancel window, which no longer remains. The church was never large enough to accommodate the number of seasonal British residents who visited the hill-station in their effort to combat the heat. Simla is built across a range of hills and connecting ridges with spectacular views to be seen in this area with rows of snow capped peaks disappearing in the distance.