Shambhuniwas [Shambhu Niwas] Palace, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shambhu Niwas Palace from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur' taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r. 1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar State in the mid-16th century and he built the City Palace (c.1570 onwards) as the main royal residence on the east bank of Lake Pichola. The Shambhu Niwas Palace is part of the City Palace, and is used as the private residence of the princely family today. This is a view of the palace with an interior courtyard in the foreground. The palace has domed corner turrets and a shield emblazoned with a radiating sun-face emblem of the Sisodia Maharanas mounted on the balcony balustrade.