Samor Gardens, Shiwaniwas Palace and Old Palace, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Samor Gardens and the Shiv Niwas Palace at Udaipur from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur' taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r. 1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar State in the mid-16th century. The Shiv Niwas, a semi-circular wing on a small rise at the southern end of the City Palace (c.1570 onwards), was built by Maharana Fateh Singh (r. 1884-1930) as his private residence. This is a view looking over the Samor Gardens towards the Shiv Niwas, with the main body of the City Palace beyond, and the Lake Palace on an island in Lake Pichola in the left background, with hills in the distance.