Sahelia ki Bari with water fountain, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Sahelion-ki Bari from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur' taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
The Sahelion-ki Bari or “Garden of the Ladies” lies to the north of Udaipur beside the Fateh Sagar lake. It was laid out by Maharana Sangram Singh II (r. 1710-1734) a pleasure garden for the women of the royal household. It is one of several royal retreats built by the Sisodia Maharanas in Udaipur. The grounds consist of gardens with trees, fountains, a lotus pond and kiosks around a shaded courtyard. This is a view of a square pool in the courtyard. It is edged with jets of water, domed kiosks are set at each corner and a water pavilion in the centre sends forth cascades of water.