Sharangar chouri [Srngaracauri Temple] at Chitorgarh.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shringara Chauri Temple from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur' taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Chittaurgarh, located 110 km east of Udaipur, is the location of the hilltop Chitor Fort, the site where Emperor Akbar (r. 1556-1605) attacked the Rajput rulers of Mewar in 1567. Chitor Fort is entered through the Padal Pol gateway and several key sites include the Palace of Rana Khumbha, Padmini's Palace, the Towers of Fame and Victory, as well as numerous temples. This photograph focuses on the Shringara Chauri Temple, a Jain temple built in 1456 is richly carved with geometric motifs and Jain figures.