Semi-ruined temple at Dapthu.
Photographer: Peppé, Thomas Fraser
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of a dilapidated brick structure was taken by Thomas Fraser Peppé in 1870 and is part of the collection of Sir Richard Carnac Temple. Descriptive notes by Peppé accompanying the photographs read as follows, ' Dapthu...is situated about a mile inland to the east of the Fulgo [Falgu], and about fourteen miles from Gya to the north. This seems to have been the site of a large Buddhist community, and the remains are extensive. There are two temples partly standing. The northern one was dedicated to Surya, and a large figure of the same is still standing inside'.