Photograph of the main façade of the Subrahmanya Swami temple mandapam at Tirupparankunram or Skandamalai in Tamil Nadu, with pillars carved in the form of rearing horses and other mythical animals, taken by Edmund David Lyon around 1868. Lyon wrote that this photograph 'shows the front of the large Porch which is placed immediately in front of the entrance to this temple. The pillars, each of which is one block of granite, are fine specimens of Hindu sculpture of the beginning of the eighteenth century. In the first pillar on the right, the god is quietly seated in a small shrine; the second and third represent that fabulous animal the Yali; while the next four show the god seated on horseback, and in the act of destroying the daughter and three sons of Kasimani by the goddess Maya - demons who were the bitter enemies of gods and men. They have not only, however, been disfigured by whitewash, but by the introduction of rude masonry under the bellies of the horses. Beyond the horsemen the Yali and shrine are repeated.'