St Paul's Cathedral, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A Hand-coloured print of St Paul's Cathedral, Calcutta from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Located on the south-east corner of the Maidan, St. Paul's Cathedral was designed by Major W. N. Forbes, architect of the silver mint, in an Indo-Gothic architectural style. Rev. Daniel Wilson, the Bishop of Calcutta was the major financial contributor to the building. St Paul's Cathedral was commenced in 1839, the spire, modelled on the Canterbury Cathedral in Britain, was added in 1938 to replace an earlier one. The interior is notable for its stained glass window, designed by Edward Burne-Jones in memory of the viceroy, Lord Mayo.