St Stephen's at Ootacamund.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of St. Stephen's Church, Ootacamund from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by an unkwon photographer about 1855. Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town itself is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). The houses are typically English and are approached by narrow lanes which are bordered by imported English shrubs and flowers. St. Stephen’s Church was built in 1830 and designed by Captain John James Underwood. The original teak timbers were taken from Tipu Sultan’s Lal Bagh Palace at Seringapatam.