St John's College, Rangoon
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of St. John’s College in Rangoon (Yangon), Burma (Myanmar), taken in the late 1870s by an unknown photographer, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. It is a general view of the school buildings, with pupils and masters gathered in front. In the tradition of Burmese vernacular architecture, the building is constructed out of wood and raised on piles. The school was founded by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in 1864 as a mission college. The European figure in a pith helmet in the right-hand group is (later Sir) James George Scott (also known as 'Scott of the Shan Hills'), who was Headmaster from 1879-81.