Street behind the Jama Musjid, [Delhi].
Photographer: Sen, S.C.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a street behind Delhi's Jami Masjid from the 'Earl of Jersey Collection' was taken by S.C. Sen in the 1880s. Jami Masjid, seen from the back, was constructed by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan (r. 1627-1666) between 1650-1656 and based on the architectural style of Agra's Jami Masjid (c.1648). "Three bay-wings flanking the central domed chamber of the prayer hall are here preceded by two continuous galleries separated by the transverse block of the central pishtaq (high portal). The front corners of the prayer hall are accentuated by two high minarets crowned in the typical Mughal fashion by domed chhatris (umbrella shaped pavilions)."