St Peter's Church, Fort William, [Calcutta]
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of the St. Peter's Church from the 'Walter Hawkins Nightingale (PWD) collection: Album of views of Calcutta, was taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The foundation stone of St Peter's Church was laid in 1822 and, although consecrated in 1828, the building was not completed until 1835. The church, built within the walls of Fort William, was designed by Captain Hutchinson and was considered a rare example of Regency Gothic style architecture in India.