Photograph of a two wheeled passenger carriage drawn by two bullocks at Shikarpur, in the Sindh province now in Pakistan, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890s. A notice on the side of the vehicle, which is in the style of a hansom carriage, allows for a maximum of six passengers. Shikarpur was once an important trading town, founded in the 17th century. Sindh, in the lower Indus Valley, derives its name from the great river, known locally as the Sindhu, and is dotted with ancient settlements including Mohenjo-Daro, one of the world's most important archaeological sites. With its strategic location bordering the Arabian Sea and encompassing the Indus delta, the province was vulnerable to foreign influences, providing an access point to invaders and visitors journeying towards the East and the Indian sub-continent. Alexander's fleet came here in 326 BC, and the Arab conquest of Sindh in the 8th century heralded the advent of the Islamic period of the sub-continent. The colonial era was ushered in by the British conquest of Sindh in 1843. This photograph is from an album of 91 prints apparently compiled by P. J. Corbett, a PWD engineer involved in irrigation work at the famine relief camp at Shetpal Tank in 1897, and in canal construction in Sindh in the early 1900s.