Photograph of sculptured figures inside the Ravula Phadi cave temple at Aihole, in the Bijapur district of Northern Karnataka, taken by James Burgess around 1874. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the early western Chalukya, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the early and late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. The Ravula Phadi cave consists of two cells and a sanctuary opening on a common porch. Inside the cave there are finely carved figures of Hindu deities. Burgess wrote in his report, "At the south corner is Siva and Parvati with Bringi. Out of Siva's cap rise three female heads, representative of Ganga, Yamuna, and Sarasvati, - or Uma, Lakshmi, and Sarasvati, - the female triad. Below these figures are four gana, - Bringi in the attitude of supplicating, one holding a cobra, a third the trisula, and the fourth, with a high cap, seated European fashion, next the door."