Photograph of sculptured figures inside the Ravula Phadi cave temple at Aihole, in the Bijapur district of Northern Karnataka, taken by James Burgess around 1874. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the early western Chalukya, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the early and late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. The Ravula Phadi cave consists of two cells and a sanctuary openingon a common porch. Inside the cave there are finely carved figures of Hindu deities. The figure in this view is described by James Burgess in his report, "In the north corner, is a male figure with battle axe and trisula, holding up a cobra by the tail in his right hand; over his left shoulder hangs a chain which descends to his feet. Below, on a little square projection, is a sitting dwarf, and beside it a smaller large-bellied one standing and eating (or blowing a reed?)."