Photograph of sculptured figures inside the Ravula Phadi cave temple at Aihole, in the Bijapur district of Northern Karnataka, taken by James Burgess around 1874. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the early western Chalukya, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the early and late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. The Ravula Phadi cave consists of two cells and a sanctuary openingon a common porch. Inside the cave there are finely carved figures of Hindu deities. The figures are described by James Burgess in his report, "They are dressed nearly alike, both have the chain depending to the feet; Siva or Hara has only two arms, with the right holding his trisula, round the head of which twines a cobra...The other figure has four hands (as Vishnu is often represented); in the right he holds up a cobra and a small rosary, and in of the left his sankha or war conch; he has a crescent on the right side of his mugut...with the third eye in the forehead, to indicate that was intended for Harihara, the conjoint form of Siva and Vishnu...".