Shiva shrine in double storeyed cave temple, Karusa
Photographer: Sykes, D.H.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shiva shrine in the double storeyed cave temple at Karusa, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1875. In his report of the operations in Western India in 1875-76 James Burgess wrote, 'At the back is a shrine with a large square pillar left in front on each side. The front of these pillars are carved each with a dwarapala. Behind this are two other similar blocks or pillars, each with dwarapalas on the front and back...Between these last stands a large linga.'