Sikandra. Kanch Mahal. Detail of main arched entrance from the north
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kanch Mahal at Sikandra in Uttar Pradesh, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893-4, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The Kanch Mahal, a 17th century domestic building, is located east of Mughal Emperor Akbar's (r.1556-1605) tomb at Sikandra. It is believed to have been occupied by Emperor Jahangir's (r.1605-27) wife, Jodh Bai. This view shows a detail of the main arched entrance from the north.
Smith wrote in Moghul Colour Decoration of Agra, 1901, "From an examination of the building it would appear that only the north façade was completed...The principal façade faces north, and not as one would expect, towards the main road leading to Agra...In the centre of the façade is an exceptionally fine porch...On the sides of the porch are archways which covered deep recesses built on the top of the plinth which was pulled down years ago to make a way into the ground floor rooms. On the north-east and north-west corners of the building are similar archways...The tops of the archways are enclosed by squareheaded architraves carved with undulating creepers. The intrados of the arch is beautified with a fringe of lotus buds, and the spandril between the extrados of the arch and the architrave confining it is decorated with rich leaf scrolls in red sandstone inlaid with white marble."