Sikandra. Kanch Mahal. North-west angle of building from west
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kanch Mahal at Sikandra in Uttar Pradesh, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893-4, from the Archaeological Survey of India. North-west view of the Kanch Mahal, a 17th century domestic building, which is located east of Mughal Emperor Akbar's (r.1556-1605) tomb at Sikandra. It is believed to have been occupied by Emperor Jahangir's (r.1605-27) wife, Jodh Bai.
Smith wrote in Moghul Colour Decoration of Agra, 1901, "Projecting from the east side of the north-east room and the west side of the north-west room is a square stone balcony supported on four elaborately ornamented brackets (Plate LXXXV) [this image]. The sides are open, but they are closed at the top by a deep dripstone...carried on stone lintels, upheld on slender columns rising from the lower corners of the balconies. Covering the balconies are canopied roofs ornamented with a rich battlemented band of encaustic tiling...From an examination of the building it would appear that only the north façade was completed. The remaining fronts are built in plain brickwork in very thin courses...The stone veneering on the north façade is continued round and stops short on the north-east and north-west corners of the building...On the north-east and north-west corners of the building are similar archways [to those on the north porch]...The tops of the archways are enclosed by squareheaded architraves carved with undulating creepers. The intrados of the arch is beautified with a fringe of lotus buds, and the spandril between the extrados of the arch and the architrave confining it is decorated with rich leaf scrolls in red sandstone inlaid with white marble."