Side of south gopura, Ramasvami Temple [Ramalingeshvara Temple], Tadpatri, Anantapur District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the side of the south gopura or gateway of the Ramalingeshvara Temple at Tadpatri, Anantapur District, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras, 1896-98. The Ramalingeshvara temple was built in the early 16th century during the Vijayanagara period. It is entered through large gateways called gopuras on the north and the south; although unfinished they are covered of extremely elaborate carvings consisting of architectural elements, such as niches covered by miniature temple towers and pilasters standing in pots; the sculptures represent figures of divinities, donors, maidens and rearing animals with riders as well as friezes, scrollwork, miniature animals and birds. The complex consist of two temples opening on a common hall.