Side view, Ramasvami Temple [Ramalingeshvara Temple], Tadpatri, Anantapur District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Ramalingeshvara Temple at Tadpatri, Anantapur District, from the the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras, 1896-98. This complex was built during the Vijayanagara period at the beginning of the 16th century. It is entered through large unfinished gopuras and consists of two temples situated in a courtyard. This view shows the side of a shrine. The pilastered walls have niches surmounted by miniature towers and deeply carved mouldings. The pyramidal multi-storeyed tower is richly decorated with carvings representing divinities, donors, guardians, maidens and rearing animals.