South-east view, Muktesvara Temple, Great Conjeeveram, Chingleput District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Muktesvara Temple at Kanchipuram, from the south-east, taken by a photographer of the Archaeological Survey of India around 1900-01. The holy Hindu town of Kanchipuram was the Pallava capital in the 7th and 8th centuries. The Mukteshvara Temple (mid-8th century) has a small square sanctuary is covered by a pyramidal tower capped by a domed roof and is preceded by a columned mandapa. The columns at the entrance of the mandapa have seated lions at the base. The outer walls are decorated with sculptured panels framed by pilasters with rearing yalis at the base.