South-west view, Muktesvara Temple, Great Conjeeveram, Chingleput District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Mukteshvara Temple at Kanchipuram, taken by a photographer of the Archaeological Survey of India around 1900-01. The holy Hindu town of Kanchipuram was the Pallava capital in the 7th and 8th centuries. The Mukteshvara Temple (mid-8th century) has a small square sanctuary is covered by a pyramidal tower capped by a domed roof and is preceded by a columned mandapa. The columns at the entrance of the mandapa have seated lions at the base. The outer walls are decorated with carved panels with Shaiva figures and rearing yalis.