South-west view, Vaikuntaperumal Temple, Great Conjeeveram, Chingleput District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Vaikunta Perumal Temple at Kanchipuram, taken by a photographer of the Archaeological Survey of India around 1900-01. This temple was built by the great Pallava king Nandivarma II at the end of the 8th century. It is built of sandstone and a mixture of granite and consists of three superposed sanctuaries that enclose the three poses of Vishnu, in the three cells. The entrance hall was added during the Vijayanagara period. The sculpture of the temple depicts the wars of the Pallavas against the Chalukyas. The outer pilastered walls are surmounted by eaves and parapets and an octagonal roof crowns the summit. The outer walls of the enclosure have pilasters adorned with rearing yalis.