Photograph of Mir Masum's minar at Sukkar in the Shikarpur District of Sindh, Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens in 1896. The octagonal domed building immediately to the left is presumably the structure converted into a resthouse by Mir Masum and at the extreme left is Mir Masum's Tomb. Cousens wrote in The Antiquities of Sind, "The most conspicuous feature in the landscape is the tall minar of Mir Ma'sum...Its dropsical proportions, and uncertain undulating outline suggest putty or dough as the material of its construction rather than brick and mortar. Its lantern top, surrounded with an iron cage, make it look more like an antiquated lighthouse perambulating through the country...It rises to a height of about a hundred feet, is eighty-four feet in circumference at the base, and is somewhat out of the perpendicular...Under the shadow of the minar rest the remains of Mir Muhammad Ma'sum Shah, his father, and other members of his family, the Ma'sumi Sayyids...Over the graves are open canopies supported on square, flat and octagonal stone pillars whose shafts are covered with Persian writing in relief and other ornamental tracery...Between Mir Ma'sum's grave and the base of the minaret is a domed octagonal building, apparently intended as a rest-house, which was built in A.H. 1004 (Plate LXXVIII) [this image]. It has four arched entrances, those on the east and west having a cut-stone ornamental balconied window above each of them. It is built of brick and is decorated with coloured tiles."