Sakar, Shikarpur District, Sindh. Shrine of Zind Pir
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shrine of Zind Pir at Sukkur in the Shikarpur District of Sindh in Pakistan, taken by Henry Cousens in 1896-7. Cousens wrote in The Antiquities of Sind, "Upon the upper side of Bakhar, and joined to it when the river is low, is the compact little island upon which, under the cool shade of some large trees is the famous shrine of Zinda or Jinda Pir...The island has been raised and protected against the corrosion of the river by retaining walls of strong rubble masonry all around...The shrine has two doors one on the south, overlaid with silver plate, embossed with figures, and one on the east. In the west wall, opposite the latter, is a niche, in which, behind some miscellaneous draperies, is the gadi or seat of Khwajah Khizr, an ancient saint who, instead of departing from this world in the orthodox manner, merely changed his visible form for an invisible one, and continues to reside in this place. It is claimed on the authority of an inscription upon a slab set in the wall above the niche, that the shrine dates back to A.H. 341 (A.D. 952).