Singnapur, Satara District. Temple of Sambhu Mahadeva
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the temple of Sambhu Mahadeva at Singnapur, Satara District of Maharashtra, taken by Henry Cousens for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1897-98. The Temple of Sambhu is situated on a hill looking down over the village of Singnapur. It was rebuilt in 1708 by Basvant Raikhogai at the time of Sivaji II. The temple is similar in plan to temples at Dakhan and consists of a courtyard, an ante-chamber and an inner chamber. The courtyard contains various small rooms and a temple of Nandi, together with the main temple. The shikara is built of brick, while the rest of the temple is of stone. This is a view looking along the hillside towards the temple shikara and enclosing wall.