Sejakpur, Kathiawar. Navlakha Temple from south
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Navalakha Temple at Sejakpur in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1898-99. Sejakpur is about twenty miles south-west of Wadwan. The Navalakha Temple, which stands to the north-west of the village, was built in the 12th century. It is one of the finest temples in Kathiawar of the Solanki period, now in a ruinous condition; every beam in the mandapa (hall) is cracked and the sikara, or tower has almost completely fallen. It consists of a sanctuary and a mandapa built on a stepped plan and stands on a high basement decorated with mouldings. The mandapa has projecting porches on the side with inclined balcony seating. The temple is richly carved throughout; sculptured figures of the gods are framed within pilasters on the outer walls and the columns, brackets and ceilings are also ornately carved. This view is taken from the south and shows a section of the carved façade of the mandapa.