Sejakpur, Kathiawar. Navlakha Temple from north-east
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Navalakha Temple at Sejakpur in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Western India 1898-99. Sejakpur is about twenty miles south-west of Wadwan. The Navalakha Temple, which stands to the north-west of the village, was built in the 12th century. It is one of the finest temples in Kathiawar of the Solanki period, now in a ruinous condition; every beam in the mandapa (hall) is cracked and the sikara, or tower has almost completely fallen. It consists of a sanctuary and a mandapa built on a stepped plan and stands on a high basement decorated with mouldings. The mandapa has projecting porches on the side with inclined balcony seating. The temple is richly carved throughout; sculptured figures of the gods are framed within pilasters on the outer walls and the columns, brackets and ceilings are also ornately carved. This view shows a section of the carved façade of the mandapa.