Street view, Odeypur
Photographer: Dayal, Deen (1844-1905)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a street view looking towards the City Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by Raja Deen Dayal & Sons in the 1880s, from the Curzon Collection: 'Views of places proposed to be visited by Their Excellencies Lord & Lady Curzon during Autumn Tour 1902' . Lord Curzon served as Viceroy of India between 1899 and 1905. Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar state in the mid-16th century. This followed the third and final sacking of the hilltop fortress of Chittorgarh, the previous Mewar capital, by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. Construction of the City Palace was begun by Udai Singh and continued through the 17th and 18th centuries. This is a view from a city street looking towards the main entrance of the palace, the Bari Pol or Great Gate (1600), a fortified gateway between the palace complex and the main bazaar. Beyond the gate rise the steep palace walls with tiers of balconies, turrets and domed kiosks at the upper levels.