Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Sursagar tank at Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The Sursagar is a large artificial reservoir in the heart of Baroda near the west gate of the old city, built with stone banks and masonry steps known as ghats. It is 1057 feet long by 665 feet wide, with an average depth of 12 feet, and was the city’s main water supply for all but drinking water. A number of public buildings are situated on its southern bank, most prominently among them the high court, the Chimnabai Nyaya Mandir. Men and women can be seen washing clothes in the foreground of this view.