Shish Mahal, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Sheesh Mahal at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Sheesh Mahal, or mirror pavilion, is one of a group of beautiful pavilions in the 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33) and his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). It dates from c.1725 and stands at the south-east corner of the Rup Sagar tank, one of two large reservoirs built at either side of a formal garden filled with fountains around which the main pavilions are arranged. This view shows the palace’s octagonal corner towers, small roof-top pavilion capped by a curved bangla roof, and a flight of steps descending to water-level in the foreground.