Shah Burj, Deeg. The point at which the first breach was made by Lord Lake's Army in 1804
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Shah Burj or bastion at Dig fort, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. Dig was established as the first capital of Bharatpur State by the Jat ruler Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33), and the fort was built by his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) in 1730. Its walls were reinforced by twelve bastions and surrounded by ramparts eight kilometres long long, containing a further 72 bastions. On 13 November 1804 the British Army commanded by General Frazer defeated the army of Jaswant Rao Holkar close to Dig, and pursued routed troops to the fort. After being besieged, it was carried by storm on 23 December 1804 and this view records the location at which troops broke through the fort walls. The fort was dismantled in 1826.