Stables in the palace, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the 'Curzon Collection: Album of views of Udaipur and Chittaurgarh', of the stables in the City Palace, Udaipur, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1900s. Udaipur was founded by Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) in the mid-16th century as the fourth and last capital of the Mewar kingdom, and is situated in a valley containing three lakes: Lake Pichola, the Fateh Sagar and the Umaid Sagar. The City Palace, begun by Udai Singh and continued into the 18th century, is built on the east bank of Lake Pichola. This view looks down into the stable compound, and beyond its crenellated walls to the hills surrounding Lake Pichola.