Street scene near Pashpatti
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph showing a street scene at the Pashupatinath temple complex in Nepal, from an album of 30 prints credited to Herzog and Higgins, taken in ca. 1901 and part of the Curzon Collection. The temple, situated a few kms east of Kathmandu on the Bagmati river, is the most venerated Hindu shrine in Nepal, dedicated to the national deity Pashupati, an aspect of Shiva as Lord of Animals. Although it is believed to be of more ancient origin, inscriptions in the temple date from the Lichchavi period in the 5th century AD. It has been restored and rebuilt through the centuries, most recently in the late 17th century. It consists of a two-storey wood and brick structure built on a square plan, a model much copied in temple architecture in the Kathmandu Valley. The temple is a major pilgrimage site and overlooks bathing and cremation ghats [stone-paved embankments] lining the sacred Bagmati, its streets therefore are a hive of activity.