Photograph of the steps leading to the Pashupatinath Temple in Nepal, from an album of 30 prints credited to Herzog and Higgins, taken in ca. 1901 and part of the Curzon Collection. The sacred complex of Pashupatinath is a few kms east of Kathmandu on the Bagmati river. Pashupati, a form of Shiva as Lord of Animals, is worshipped here and it is a major pilgrimage site and the holiest Hindu temple of Nepal. Inscriptions in the temple date from the Lichchavi period in the 5th century AD but it is believed to be of more ancient origin. It has been restored and rebuilt through the centuries, most recently in the late 17th century. It consists of a richly decorated two-storey wood and brick structure built on a square plan, a model much copied in temple architecture in the Kathmandu Valley. This style of pyramidal Nepali temple with its great overhanging roofs supported by massive carved brackets of wood is called a 'dega' (an abbreviation of devagraha or 'god's abode') rather than a 'pagoda'. The two-roof form is most ancient though degas could have up to five roofs.