Shish Mahal, Lahore
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Macnabb Collection of the interior of the Sheesh Mahal in the Fort in Lahore, taken by an unknown photographer, most likely during the 1890s. From 1584 to 1598 Lahore was the capital city of the Mughal emperor Akbar (ruled 1556-1605), who built the massive fort. The emperors Jahangir (ruled 1605-27) and Shah Jahan (ruled 1628-58) extended the fort and built garden courtyards and richly-decorated palace apartments within. The Sheesh Mahal (Palace of Mirrors) is the finest of several white marble pavilions erected by Shah Jahan in 1631-2. It was reserved for the private use of the emperor and his family and stands in the Shah Burj (King’s Pavillion), today known as the Musamman Burj, at the north-west corner of the fort. It is intricately decorated with pietra dura and has mirror work inlaid into the walls and on the ceiling, which creates a shimmering effect.