Photograph of Sohawa Bridge on the Grand Trunk Road at Rawalpindi, in the Punjab, Pakistan, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. Rawalpindi had been a Mughal base and later in the 19th century was developed as a trading centre by the Sikhs. The British gained control over it after the Second Anglo-Sikh War in 1849, and made it their Army Headquarters for the northern region. As an important cantonment it developed good connections with other parts of India when the railways were extended to it. This, and its position on the Grand Trunk Road, meant that the town developed both in size and importance throughout the century. The Imperial gazeteer of India states, 'The cantonment, with a population in 1901 of 40,611, is the most important in India. It contains one battery of horse and one of field artillery, one mountain battery, one company of garrison artillery, and one ammunition column of field artillery; one regiment of British and one of Native cavalry; two of British and two of Native infantry; and two companies of sappers and miners, with a balloon section. It is the winter headquarters of the northern Command, and of the Rawalpindi military division. An arsenal was established here in 1883.'