Sculptured column from the mandapa of the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a carved column from the Pattabhirama Temple, near Kamalapuram, Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, 1880s. Vijayanagara, the City of Victory, was founded on the bank of the Tungabhadra River in the 14th century and was the most powerful Hindu kingdom in Southern India until the defeat by the Muslim armies in 1565. The 16th century Pattabhirama Temple complex, dedicated to Rama, is situated on the outskirts of Vijayanagara. It is enclosed by a high rectangular wall entered through pyramidal gateways with diminishing storeys. The temple consists of a shrine with a vestibule and two pillared halls, all set within a very large rectangular court. This view shows a slender carved column of the mandapa with a rearing yali, a mythical animal.