South porch of the courtyard of the Jami Masjid, Ahmadabad
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the south entrance to the court of the Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. The Jami Masjid at Ahmadabad as built by Sultan Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42) and completed in 1424. James Burgess wrote in his Report on Ahmadabad for the Archaeological Survey of India, Vol VII, "Outside, the court of the mosque is entered here from a large and handsome porch, its roof supported by two rows of pillars each, - half of them evidently brought from some Hindu or Jaina temple (Plate VII) [this image]. It is reached from the street level by twelve steps, and the platform is protected on the outer side by one of those low screen-walls so frequent in Gujarat Hindu architecture, beautifully carved outside, and having a bench or seat on the inner side, with its back sloping outwards. The roof of the portico projects well over the capitals of the pillars, and is crowned above by a carved battlement plinth."