Small tomb near Ahmad Shah's Tomb, Ahmadabad
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a small unidentified tomb near Ahmad Shah's Tomb at Ahmadabad in Gujarat, taken by order of Major Cole, by an Army sergeant in c. 1881, from the Archaeological Survey of India. The tomb of Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42), built in c.1440, is situated to the east of the Jami Masjid in the city. It is a large square domed structure with a central hall and four square rooms at the corners joined by pillared verandahs. Windows of perforated stone-work allow light into the interior. In the centre of the marble hall floor is the tomb of Sultan Ahmad Shah, on either side are the tombs of his son Muhammad Shah II (1451), and his grandson Jalal Khan Qutu'd-din Shah (1458), all carved of white marble.
James Burgess wrote in the Archaeological Survey of Western India, Vol VII, "On the east of the Jami Masjid court is the Rauza or Tomb of Sultan Ahmad Shah...the surrounding area is filled with graves and tombs. among the latter is one over a Pir Abdullah Saheb, and another in memory of some children of General Ballantyne, a political officer under the East India Company in the early part of the century. What space has not been occupied by graves has been taken up by private people who have put up dwellings on it. There is also an enclosure containing a Langarkhana or almshouse, where cooked Khichri (rice boiled with dal or split pulse), is doled out every afternoon to the poor people who flock for it."