Shrine walls of the Bavanadhvaja Temple, Sarotra 1934
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the shrine walls of the Bavanadhvaja Temple at Sarotra, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Bhavandhvja temple at Sarotra dates from the late 16th century. The lintels of doorways and a pillar of the mandapa have dates inscribed ranging between 1599-1634. This Jain temple consists of a principal shrine within a rectangular courtyard, surrounded by fifty-two smaller shrines. The entrance to the temple is via a porch which leads to the mandapa or columned hallway covered by a dome supported by eight pillars. The entire principal shrine is composed of white marble while the surrounding cells of the smaller shrines are built of brick. The sculptures within the shrines are typical of Jain temples and consist of Yakshahs, Devis, musicians, dancers, and several Hindu mythology figures which the Jains recognize. The view shows the main temple shrine, seen from where the corridor on the east side has been destroyed. The shikara, or tower, is largely obscured by vegetation.