Side entrance to Jalakanteshvara Temple, Vellore 2590
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the side entrance to the Jalakanteshvara Temple at Vellore, Tamil Nadu, taken by the School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jalankanteshvara Temple is built in the Vijayanagara style and dates from the 16th century. The complex is enclosed by high walls and is entered on the south through a tall gopura. The carvings on the lower storey consist of slender pilasters standing in pots, and niches which have now lost their sculptures. Inside the outer enclosure, to the left, is the kalyana mandapa whose pillars have some of the finest carvings of the Vijayanagara period. The outer pillars are embellished with rearing lions, yalis and horses with riders and other mythical beasts. These magnificent carvings were executed almost in the round. The main temple consists of a linga shrine to the west and a Nataraja shrine to the north.