Stone temple car or ratha and dvajastambha in the Venkataramana Temple, Tadpatri
Photographer: Madras School of Industrial Arts
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the stone temple car or ratha in front in the Venkataramana Temple at Tadpatri, taken by the Madras School of Industrial Arts around 1868, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Ramalingeshvara temple is situated on the right bank of the River Penner. It was built in the early 16th century during the Vijayanagara period. The temple is surrounded by an enclosure wall entered through large gateways or gopuras on the south, west and north. Although unfinished these gopuras are covered with elaborate carvings. The main shrine, dedicated to Vishnu, is preceded by a closed mandapa with two porches. The stone chariot or temple car contains a Garuda image and functions as a miniature temple in its own right. It has a pyramidal roof and pilastered walls. The stone wheels are carved with lotus motifs.