The 'Yarrows' from 'Peterhoff'.
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the 'Yarrows' taken from Peterhof, Shimla, taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s. The hill-station of Shimla, now the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh, became a popular resort with British residents of India in the 1820s. It also became the Presidency's summer capital when the Governor-General began to take his administration with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta, 1300 miles away. 'The Yarrows', the house on the hill was owned by the Rajah of Nahun and like many houses in the area, was rented out annually to visitors. The view is taken from Peterhof, which was the house the Governor General originally rented (destroyed in 1981), until a fine Viceregal Lodge was built in 1888.